Cotleigh House, sometimes known as Cotleigh Hall was a large manor house that was occupied by the Hounsfield Family, who were famous in the village for owning Hackenthorpe Hall which can still be found on Main Street, and is the oldest standing building in the village.
A driveway leading from the end of Sheffield Road, opposite Christ Church was originally planned, with a large ornate gate put in place. This driveway was never completed and today the gate posts still remain leading to an empty field. This driveway was planned so that there was an entranced that bypassed Main Street. The house itself stood roughly in the area now occupied by the housing on Cotleigh Crescent, which of course is named after the house.
Although the house has long since been demolished (the 1950s saw this occur), the house is still fondly remembered by the older residents of Hackenthorpe, and the standing gateposts are a welcome reminder of times gone by.
Hackenthorpe Hall is the oldest standing building in Hackenthorpe. Originally built in 1653 by James and Alice Newbould, a prominent family in the village, and then being inherited (through marriage) by James Houndsfield, the hall is perhaps the most well known landmark on Main Street. Although heavily extended and rebuilt by James Houndsfield in 1875, the original stone carving showing the names of Newboulds as well as the year, 1653 can still be seen above the back entrance of the hall.
Today the hall is used as a children's daycare/nursery but prior to this it was used as to house small flats and even earlier it was used during World War II as a training ground for Auxiliaries as well as Fire fighters.
Greenside House is an 18th century building that stands next to the old Staniforth Works on Beighton Road. The house was the primary residence of the Staniforths from the early 1800s through to the 1930s. The house contained a workshop building adjoining it as well as a large plot of land to the front. Former residents include Thomas Staniforth himself, his sister Louisa Staniforth who went onto marry John Hibbard (Both Louisa and John are listed as being 'of Greenside' on their headstone in Beighton Cemetery). During World War 2 there was an Air Raid Precautions warden post in the grounds of the house. Other names associated with living here include Albert Waddington, John (Jack) Hibbard Jr. and more recently Dr Pagden.
Inkersall House is a house located on Sheffield Road, close to the top of Brook Lane. Historically this home belonged to William James Le Tall, a local well known historian born at Woodhouse and his wife Mary Staniforth Le Tall, who was the daughter of John Jubb of Drake House and Olivia Staniforth. William and Mary where both Quakers and were buried in the nearby Quaker burial ground in Woodhouse.
The home itself was later the residence of the Kirk Family and their business H. Kirk and Sons Ltd, Engineers.
White Stile - This was an old lane that went from the south of Beighton Road down to Mosborough through Hanging Lee.
Town Fields - These were a collection of fields which stood at the west end of Main Street where the road now meets with Birley Spa Lane. The fields extended down towards Shirebrook Valley.
Cuckoo - Terraced houses at Bank View, these are now long gone. These were accessed from a lane that led from Church Lane, and they overlooked Linley Banks.
Narrow Lane - Narrow Lane was a footpath that connected Hackenthorpe and Woodhouse. The path started at The Reading Room on Main Street (Later the bike shop and later carpet shop) and went down through the Birley East Pit. There was also a plot of land at the top of the lane known as The Old Barn.
The Flashes - These were fields that stood at the bottom of Ainey Hill on the south end of Beighton Road. These fields have since been built on.
The Ainey - This was the main road connecting Hackenthorpe and Beighton. This passed closeby to the now long gone Carter Lodge School and it was also known as Hany Gap in the 1670s. A field known as Hanna Close was later used for the Hackenthorpe Miners Welfare ground.
Well Lane - This was a small lane that led from Main Street to the communal well which stood at what was then the western edge of Hackenthorpe Wood. The well stood close to where the Rainbow Forge school now stands and stood capped in a field until the Hackenthorpe Estate was built.
Penny Loaf - This was a very small copse that at the foot of a spoil heap from Birley East Colliery. It stood between the Cliff Wheel at Beighton and Rainbow Forge at Shirebrook. This was surrounded by trees and there was a circular clearing surfaced with red ash from the tip. The clearing was often used to play illegal Pitch and Toss, a game my Staniforth ancestors are noted for getting in trouble playing as teenagers! Footpaths leading away from the area where lookouts kept an eye out for the local police.
Utah - These were a row of terraced houses on Church Lane built by the Thomas Staniforth & Co. sickleworks in 1873. The site was originally called The Pingle.
Church Lane - This is a road that still exists today and originally passed by The Mission Room which was originally an old stone built infant schoolroom. The building has since been used for decades as the pearl button factory.
Delves - These were fields close to where the Hogshead pub now stands. Delve is a word that means to excavate or dig.
Cam Bottom/Cam Oak - This was a footpath that existed along the Ochre Dyke and began at the bottom of Brook Lane. There was a bank containing stone steps surrounded by natural bushes and brambles and as the name suggests, oak trees.
Carter Lodge - Carter Lodge Farm stood where the present day Hackenthorpe Estate now stands on Spa Lane. This was originally a bridleway that came off Main Street towards Normanton Springs. When the new road was built in 1954 this bridleway and farm was demolished.
Hutton Yard - This was a yard on Main Street, in deeds dating back to 1833, Mary Hutton was left two closes of land which contained 11 acres. Mary, born Mary Jermyn at Drakehouse had married an Ezra Hutton, a sicklesmith originally from Ridgeway. She was widowed and in her will dated 1852 she left a total of 10 terraced stone cottages which stood on part of some land that formed Hutton Yard. There was also a barn, which is the same aforementioned 'Old Barn'. The barn stood in the neighbouring Brammall Yard which was opposite the present Sportsman Inn.
Hearse House and Village Pound - Located next to the village green and the Hackenthorpe School, these were in a very dilapidated state by 1895. The Hearse house was used to take deceased Hackenthorpe residents down to the churchyard in Beighton, long before Hackenthorpe got it's own church in 1900.